Syllabus (CMS 740 syllabus Fall 16)
- Readings in Rhetorical Criticism, Burgchardt (4th ed.)
- Reading packet: available by Dropbox (I will send invitation)
- Critiques of Contemporary Rhetoric, Campbell and Burkholder
- APA manual (6th ed.)
- Writing books such as: Strunk and White’s The Elements of Style, Yagoda’s How to Not Write Bad, or anything else that gets you thinking about writing.
- Rhetoric blogs: I’ve found that it’s useful to read less formal examples of rhetorical criticism. You might find random rants on some of these pages, but you will also see some really terrific examples of criticism. Take the time to visit these occasionally and see what it means to approach topics from a rhetorical perspective. This is just a start–check out the “blog roll” on each of these pages to see some other good examples.
- Paper 1: proposal
- Paper 2: textual analysis
- Paper 3: historical analysis
- Paper 4: lit review/critical lens
- Paper 5: final paper
- KB Journal–for those interested in all things Kenneth Burke